Tuesday, December 1, 2009

GROWING UP AND OUT


In the news recently was an article about the alarming increase in Type 2 diabetes in children, which apparently is related to an increase in childhood obesity. I’m no medical researcher, but I think these problems are probably due to another increase--in hours played on Xbox-360. Kids gotta have their video games! Sedentary lifestyles.

I’m glad I was never tempted by all these sit-down gadgets and gizmos when I was a kid. Mama Bore’s constant mantra was: “Go outside and play.” In other words, “Get out of my hair!” When I was underfoot, I just made more messes for her to clean up, so it was much easier for her if I was outdoors.

I took her orders to heart. Our big backyard was a playground for softball, hide-n-seek, and shadow tag. The front yard driveway and sidewalk were used for games like hopscotch, lemonade (what‘s your trade?), mother may I, and jacks. The neighbor boys had some trees in their yard that were great for climbing. And, of course, I had a bike--one speed only. I became excellent at all these outdoor activities because I got lots of practice. Have I ever learned how to correctly make a bed and iron clothes? Well, no.

I know little kids still like to play outside because when I pass a school at recess time I always see them running around having a blast. So, there is hope. Woe will be the day when recesses are idly spent playing computer games, fingers madly twitching, eyes glazed.

1 comment:

dr. maureen said...

probably 20% of the kids i see are obese, another 25% overweight. it's clearly a result of "screen time" (vs physical activity) and their diets of BurgerKing etc. i do my best to educate but their parents are enablers!