Thursday, December 17, 2009

MY BFFs

Yesterday I went to Mama Bore’s house to continue my cleaning quest, and, when I felt like I was ready to drop, I bopped over to the home of one of my BFFs to recover with coffee and conversation. And lo and behold, another BFF was in town and arrived shortly after I did. I have known Nancy Sue and Cheryl for over 54 years. Actually Nancy Sue and I initially became acquainted in a hospital nursery when she was six days old, but that doesn’t count. Anyone who has known me since first grade and still speaks to me qualifies as a Best Friend Forever.

Growing up, Nancy Sue lived a block away--half a block if we cut through the alley and the Monicals’ yard. Cheryl was two blocks on down across the highway. There was a vacant lot next to her house that was ideal for various kid activities, and her garage was where I learned the finer art of that classic game, Spin the Bottle, one rainy day. Nancy Sue had a real playhouse in her backyard, and next to it was a fine tree for climbing. My house was across the street from the football stadium. If we weren’t in my bedroom with a telescope watching the guys, we were conveniently out in the backyard waiting for them to come by.

On Monday I am going to the big city, and guess what?! I’m gonna have lunch with two more BFFs!! That’s right. Since first grade I have also been pals with Rat and Maggie. Rat lives in Vermont now, but we still try to meet up when he’s back in the Midwest because together we will be forever linked by surviving the Big Hideous Sledding Accident of 1955. Maggie didn’t live in my neighborhood, but we still shared the same wacky, wicked sense of humor. We spent most of sixth grade carrying a heavy-duty crush for a guy who was a senior. We’d sit on the school steps every morning waiting for him to drop off the little sister of his blonde bombshell girlfriend, who was always cozied up next to him in his cool black Ford Fairlane, just so we could get a glimpse. Like we stood a chance--or would even know what to do if we had one. Sigh.

I probably have a dozen First Grade BFFs I’m still in touch with, along with a number of other pals from junior high and high school. Big Bore, who grew up in the city, envies my small town roots and longtime friendships. And for good reason. If you want to make yourself feel better physically and mentally and emotionally and every other way, just try being with a BFF.

(P.S.--That's Nancy Sue with her eyes closed at the far left. Cheryl is three girls over with the curls hanging over her forehead, and Maggie, with pigtails, is next to her. I'm the closed-mouth one three girls over in the jumper. Rat is the big smiler--far right, middle row. That nice smooth forehead of his was probably never the same after our sledding accident.)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love hearing stories of childhood friends..you have a great memory!! ;)

Jaime said...

I second that! Old friends are the best kind to have! My oldest just happened to comment before me ;)

Dusti said...

Great friendships like that are rare. I always feel lucky to be so close to some of my BFF's from waay back in the day. Love the old school photo. :-)