Tuesday, December 15, 2009

HANGING IN THERE

Big Bore is a lover of most things feathered, so recently he crafted some little houses for his bird friends out of pieces of used wood that were in the garage. He would much rather be outside puttering around than hibernating with me, where the air is warm and full of cat fuzz.

He hung this wren hotel on our little Golden Raintree, which Mama Bore gave me about three years ago when it was the size of a 12-inch high toothpick. We nursed it along in a pot for a year and then transplanted it in the backyard, where it is starting to look like an actual tree, at least it was back in October when the yard was alive with color.

Now, as everyone knows, I hate cold weather. On days like today (5 degrees when I awakened) I do my best to stay inside and look at the messes I need to rearrange. I did, however, try doing some yard work this morning and lasted about 30 seconds, tops, before retreating back indoors, eyes dripping. It’s back to cleaning up after Big Bore and the cats. No fun, but at least I’m not in danger of turning into a human ice sculpture. Sporadically I take breaks to check my email and count down the days until spring, although it’s not even officially winter yet. We have ninety-five
days to go. The birds and I hope time flies.


1 comment:

dr. maureen said...

your goldenraintree looks great. i had 6 of those matchstick trees live through those first 2 yrs---but none look like that. i think 2 of them were GRTs--will see in the spring