Monday, June 18, 2012

MONDAY MORNING MUSINGS

*This angel wing begonia has an ancient history.  It's a "child" of one that originally belonged to my great grandmother Schmitt who immigrated to the United States from Germany back in the 1870s.  My grandma Elizabeth took a cutting from her mother's and years later my mother took a cutting from that second generation one. When Mom had to move to the assisted living home, I took over the care of her third generation angel wing, which is now in our backyard.  Each winter we bring it inside and baby it along until the weather warms up and it can go outside and bloom again.  This morning I took a cutting from it and hope to start a fourth generation.  To be continued.

*Last night Sweet Neighbor Girl came over to take the hot iron to my frizzy head.  I parked in front of the TV to watch "Cupcake Wars," while she ironed away.  She'd never seen the show before and found it an instant winner--except she, like moi, had trouble understanding the French judge.  At one point he was criticizing the  apricot curd in one entry, but SNG mistook what he said.  

"Did he just say 'apricot turd'?" she asked.

"No!!!  It's CURD!" I answered.  "It's made from milk."

Then she started laughing....and laughing....and laughing until she just about tooted her own apricot turd right there in the living room, which caused her to roll up into one big, embarrassed ball on the floor and laugh some more.

*Hannah #2 came over today trying to pawn off a stray kitten on me that someone else had pawned off on her.  "Mom said I could have it, but it will have to stay at someone else's home."

"In other words, you can't have it," I sadly said.  "But I can't take in any more cats right now."  The poor little tabby was about the size of a tea cup, and it had crud in its eyes and a dirty mouth and gunky ears.

"Will you get the boogers out of its eyes?" she asked.

"Sure.  Let's go inside and clean him up."

So, I de-boogered him and washed off his kitty lips and gave him a plate of milk--then gave #2 some suggestions in finding a home.  I'm happy to report that she located an adoptive family and the baby has a name now:  Itsy Bitsy.

Welcome to the neighborhood, kid.



  

No comments: