Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BEST FOOT FORWARD

Last night's walk was postponed for a while when I was accosted by Sweet Neighbor Girl, Trouble #1, and their football, slightly deflated but useful nonetheless.

"Hey, Nancy! Do you know how to play football?" Trouble asked.

"Sure I do.  I was the only girl who played football on our high school team!"

He looked impressed, but SNG was a bit suspicious of my claim.  "Did you REALLY play on the team?" she asked.

"No. I just wanted to see your reaction," I laughed.  "But I DO know HOW to play football."

"Can you teach me how to kick?" Trouble asked.  

"Sure. Toss me the ball." And on my first try in decades, I kicked that ball higher and straighter than I'd ever imagined. So, having proved my worth, Trouble was ready to accept kicking lessons from a "girl."

"Just hold the ball in front of you like so," I demonstrated.  "Then, right foot, left foot, kick with your right foot.  You are right-handed? Right?" 

Well, the kid has only been in kindergarten for a month. Right-handed and left-handed apparently haven't been written into the lesson plans yet. He had a heckuva time keeping it all straight and his motions were about as fluid as Godzilla stomping across the plains of Japan. We were laughing and laughing, but he kept trying and trying...and missing.

"Don't throw the ball up in the air. Just keep hold of it and then right before you kick it, let go."  

Finally, he connected...and the football sailed backwards over his head. Amazing.

"Well, you keep practicing," I said, certain that I had invested enough of my precious time to the cause. "I have to get on with my walk."  

It's going to be a long season.


No comments: