Sunday, November 22, 2009

BABES IN THE WOODS

Big Bore and I headed out to Cross Timbers State Park for some hiking yesterday afternoon. The first trail we walked was our favorite, Woodson Cove, which we re-marked in June as volunteers for the park. We decided to walk the loop in the opposite direction than what we’ve always taken before, and I became totally discombobulated. I was also thrown by all the crunchy leaves--mostly white and red oak--that covered the pathway.

If you’ll look closely to the right behind BB you’ll see two of the blue marks we left five months ago. Going on a hike with him is always an adventure because he is constantly stopping to point out what I would normally miss: signs of deer and other wildlife, holes in trees, bird feathers, nuts, etc. Even the smallest of berries will grab his attention and admiration. He has a special appreciation for the beauty in the outdoors--except for snakes and spiders and poison ivy and skunks.

About all I ever look for are unusual rocks, so I tried getting more involved in our recent nature hike by asking gripping, relevant questions, as in:

“What would you do if all the sudden an elephant came stomping through the woods?

“I’d be surprised, that’s for sure,” answered BB.

“What about a giraffe?” I asked.

“That’s not going to happen,” he said, already getting annoyed with me.

“What would you do if a dinosaur started chasing you?”

“You’re goofy.”

I think I’m going to have to work on my line of questions before our next outing or he’s going to ditch me in the wilds with two quick words: “Get lost!”

2 comments:

Kayle said...

Hey, BB just might really need to watch out for elephants. Couple in Enid hit one on their way home from church recently

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, gosh! That's right! Ya never know what's going to show up.