Saturday, October 30, 2010

HAY THERE

Since the beginning of time, the first Saturday in November in our county has been designated Cattleman's Day. About a week or so before, round bales of hay are distributed about various store fronts and the artistic among us create something to promote beef and/or a local business, whatever. My favorite from this year's hay masterpieces is the one pictured above, which promotes monsters. Hay Monsters. Get it? I love it! Mary Shelley, rest her soul, would be so proud.

And while I'm on the subject, last night Big Bore and I watched two Frankenstein movies we'd never before seen: The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and Revenge of Frankenstein, (1958), both starring Peter Cushing as the mad doc. I dozed off during the first one, having had a strenuous day of horseshoes, but the second one was quite good--not scary good, but plot-wise good. We tried staying up for Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969), two more Cushing offerings, but our bodies don't function much after 11 PM.

I'm up early, however, to catch The Ghoul, (1933) with Boris Karloff, starting shortly, and highly recommend that everyone tune in to Homicidal (1961) at 2 PM, on TCM. I've not seen the former, but the latter almost scared the pee out of me at the Kansan Theater in Fredonia when I was in 7th grade. And Strait Jacket (1964), my all-time favorite/worst Joan Crawford performance, comes on at 5 PM. Instead of wielding coat hangers, she's into axes this time around and she is soooooo over the top creepy!! A tip o' the witch's hat to Hay Monsters and old Halloween Movies everywhere.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Cattlemens! That will get the ole town a buzzing. Scary movies give me nightmares, sometimes much less worse than a UNC Basketball game.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah said...

I LOVE scary movies... I look forward to this time of year TV time :)..enjoy