Wednesday, October 20, 2010

SPARE PEARS

Every time we’ve driven past a pear-laden tree this fall, Big Bore has lamented that he sure wishes we had our own pear tree. Or we knew someone who had a pear tree. So, when I was driving on a county road near Pittsburg Saturday and encountered three kids yelling, “Have a free pear!!” I put on the brakes, backed up the car, and wheeled into their driveway. There was a big ol’ tree in their yard that was pregnant with pears.

“Did I hear you say you’d give me a free pear?” I smiled at the little girl, still in her night clothes, and two smaller boys. “I love pears, and I have a friend who loves them even more!” A nice grandpa-type stood nearby.

Well, they were so excited that someone had actually stopped, that they’d gladly give me lots more pears---they had a bag full of them. I told them we needed to make a deal. I had a five dollar bill I’d exchange for the pears. Oh, were they excited. Grandpa told them to pick some more, and by the time I left I had a bag that was almost too heavy for me to carry. I figured I could give a bunch to my Pittsburg relatives and still have plenty to take home to BB.

So, when I got to my niece’s house, ready to unload on her, was I ever surprised to hear her say, “Do you want some pears? We have about two hundred pounds of them out back.” Seems her in-laws have a farm north of town that also has a prolific pear tree.

I laughed, told her my pear story, and kindly declined to add anything more to my fruit bag. But she still had something for me: jars of pear jam, pear honey, pear apple butter, pear/peach salsa, etc. She is a resourceful kind of gal.

So, I brought home lots of good eats and treats from my little day trip. I suspect the next time we drive by a pear tree, BB is going to keep his big mouth shut because we now have enough pears and peary products to last a very loooooooong time.

3 comments:

dr. maureen said...

it's appearant that you and Big Bore are a pear stocking up for the winter...

Kayle said...

Oh, you really don't want a pear tree! We had one beside the croquet court – had to clean up the over ripe ones before playing. Let alone all the bees that love pears!!!

Kayle said...

Oh, you really don't want a pear tree! We had one beside the croquet court – had to clean up the over ripe ones before playing. Let alone all the bees that love pears!!!