Monday, October 18, 2010

ON THE RADIO


Often times when Big Bore and I are in the car, we’ll turn on the radio and play a little game we call, “Who’s Singing That?” I’m stellar at identifying performers of the 1960s, of course, while he’s more into the groups of the 1970s and ‘80s. Anything after 1990, not so good. 2000 and on--forget about it. Thus, it’s no surprise that we tend to tune in to the stations that feature oldies rock. We challenge each other, and sometimes the results are ridiculous. Here’s how a conversation went during a recent outing, although now I can’t even remember the song in question:

“Who’s singing that?” asked BB.
“Gee, I don’t know. It’s not familiar. You’ll have to give me a clue. Is it an individual or a group?”
"Both, actually."
“Hmmmm.” I listened intently, trying to identify the performer. “I still can’t think of it,” I said, perplexed. “Give me the initials of the individual.”
“F. P.”
“F. P? Freddie? Frank?” I asked.
“No.”
“Okay,” I conceded. “Give me the first name.”
“Floyd,” BB said.
“Floyd?” I repeated. “I don’t think I of know of any singers named Floyd.” I kept wracking my brain a bit longer and then finally tossed in the towel. “I give up. Who is it?”
“Floyd Petty,” BB said, with some self-satisfaction.
“Floyd Petty?” I questioned. “Who the hell is Floyd Petty? I’ve never even heard of him.”
“You know,” BB said. “Floyd Petty and the Heartbreakers.”
“That’s TOM Petty and the Heartbreakers, you goofball!” I laughed.
“Oh, that’s right. I always get him confused.”
“With whom?”
"I guess I was thinking of Pink Floyd."
“You’re nuts.”

Since then, whenever I don’t know the name of a singer on the radio, I always say, with serious certainty, “That’s Floyd Petty!” I think I’m going to become F.P.s fan club president and create an entire music history for him, Gold Records and all. And since I’m such a petty person, Big Bore is not going to live this one down for a LONG time.

1 comment:

Dusti said...

I can just see the Wikipedia Page now... :)