Tuesday, September 22, 2009

MONKEY BUSINESS


There was a blurb in the newspaper today about the 70th anniversary of one of my favorite movies, The Wizard of Oz. I would venture to guess I’ve seen it at least 30 times--enough to be able to sing along with all the songs and repeat a good portion of the dialogue. So, here is the probing question for today--who is your favorite Oz character and why?

My fave is the Wicked Witch of the West. I even have a little rubber Wx3 hunched evilly in my bookcase. Her green face, great cackle, and ability to morph from bicycle lady to bitch on a broom have always intrigued me. Plus, she hangs out with a gang of cool monkeys. And I love monkeys! Especially ones that wear cute little outfits and fly!

Oh, there’s nothing like a woman who loves shoes and revels in her “beautiful wickedness.”

5 comments:

Sarah said...

WOW I love that movie too. It is such a classic.

Jaime said...

Oh yes, classic movie! I'm all for the protagonist, good witch though! Wish I could remember her name. Hmm?? I wanna say, Glenda, the Good Witch. Her sweet candor & voice just mesmerized me as a child! LOVE this movie!

Nancy Evans said...

A few years ago The Wizard of Oz was done at EJSHS, and the girl who played Glenda was a ringer. Wish I could remember who it was--I recall being surprised at the transformation. Now I'll be spending all day trying to recall who it was.

dr. maureen said...

i sorta liked toto---great wild hair, always getting to the truth (ie pulling the curtain open on the fake wiz, going after that nasty witch). i do a great voice impersonation of the witch though (can't quite get the yappy bark down

Dusti said...

I always love the scarecrow the most. Awww, dorothy. :-) As a kid, my favorite parts of the movie were Munchkin land, when she sings Over the Rainbow, and the horse of changing colors.