Sunday, September 27, 2009

SWEET MEMORIES



Today I'm making chocolate chip cookies to give to two sets of families who've recently moved into the neighborhood--provided I can keep them out of Big Bore's mouth--the cookies, not the neighbors. My special recipe is called Yearbook Staff Chocolate Chip Cookies because I would sometimes bake them as a reward for meeting deadlines when I was a teacher.

My cookies were frowned upon by certain powers-that-be at school because there was some archaic rule in the Student Handbook forbidding parties in the classroom. So, I argued semantics.
"We're not having a party. It's a reward for the kids getting their pages done on time."

"Don't you expect them to make their deadlines?"

"Yes, I do."

"Then they don't need to be rewarded."

Humbug. I forged ahead, figuring I'd be the first teacher in history who ever got fired for insubordination due to chocolate chip cookies.

But cookies were not the only treat upon which yearbook staffers dined. One year, probably 1997, we had a cinnamon roll contest. There were five entries and Dr. Jon, or maybe it was his mother, was declared the winner. Dr. Jon, although a lean athletic machine, loved to eat. In fact, his yearbook work box had more food in it than pages. I am proud to report he is a real doctor now, but I don't think he's specializing in nutrition.

Another year for St. Patrick's Day we had had a Green Reward. All treats had to be green, provided they were sweet and fattening. No spinach and broccoli allowed. There was lime sherbet punch, sugar cookies swirled in green frosting, green apple caramel suckers, mint chocolate ice cream--well, you get the picture.

I rued the day that Rockin' Robin graduated because she always brought my favorite snack to Reward Days--Rotelle Cheese Dip. Yummmmmmy! I missed RR and her dip so much that I decided to make it myself once she was off to college. Now, you'd think there would be no way I could muck up two ingredients in a crock pot, but my dip just about caused an insurrection among the staffers. It was horrid!! It looked like badly burnt baked beans. No one dared try eating it, and I didn't blame them. I had to chisel the cheese out of the pot and then soak the pot for several days to get it clean. After that, I went back to chocolate chip cookies. A safer bet.

So, whenever I drag out my Crisco-smeared recipe for Yearbook Staff Chocolate Chip Cookies it is always with fond memories of sharing great food (with one burned exception) with great students. Here's hoping for great neighbors who will reward me with sweet smiles.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Those were some great memories. Ah, and those cookies, definitely to die for!!! Thanks for bringing me back to the good ole days!

Bishops' Blog said...

Maddie has asked that I put in a request for cookies to be delivered here. Darn your giant cookie picture. I have a feeling I will baking tonight. That is one thing I can't resist..if kids want to have fun in the kitchen, then by all means.

dr. maureen said...

i used to make choc chip cookies as my "handouts" when i lectured to med students when i taught at East Carolina. some of the other teachers objected, said i just wanted to be popular. i told them that chocolate is a neurotransmitter, and helped the students concentrate on the lecture and actually learn something.

Angela said...

I had completely and totally forgotten about that cinnamon roll contest!! I don't think the rest of us ever accepted for a minute that Jon didn't have some help with that win, but the rolls sure were yummy so I don't think we cared too much. Thanks for the flashback!

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, Ang, I think Clint wanted to make an official protest/investigation into the veracity of whom just made those Phelan rolls!

Sarah said...

uDang I want a cookie now...THANKS. ;)