Wednesday, April 28, 2010

CRASH LANDING

Have you ever known anyone who has had an accident playing horseshoes? Well, now you do.

Yesterday after getting my car serviced in the big city, Big Bore and I headed out to a park with our ancient horseshoes. We found them in Mama Bore’s garage last month--untouched for over 50 years, but I took the steel wool to them and painted them, so they look brand new. We were ready to toss those babies.

“First one to 20 points wins,” BB announced.

We have our own scoring system. I don’t know if it’s “official,” or not, but we give 3 points to a ringer, 2 points if the horseshoe ends up leaning on the post, and one point if the horseshoe lands less than its width to the post. If both throwers come close, the closer one wins the point. Got all that?

Well, I kept missing high and missing low and missing left until, finally, “Clank,” it looked like just maybe I had a ringer! Hooray! I got so excited that I immediately had to gallop down to the post to check. Not a wise move.

Midway to the other end, my size 10s took a stumble on the grass---then another stumble, and another stumble as I tried to keep my balance until my entire klutzy body took a crashing tumble--boobs and head first. Aaaaggggghhhhh! My sunglasses jammed into my right cheek, and somehow I scraped up my right hand.

“Are you okay?” Big Bore asked.

“Oh, my head aches!” I said, bouncing up in embarrassment and giving the all clear sign.

At that point, we both started laughing.

“I wish I’d captured that on a video camera,” BB said. “We could have won $10,000 on America’s Funniest Home Videos.”

“That’s the last time I’m going to run down to see how I did,” I moaned, my t-shirt stained with grass from smashing my boobs into the ground, although I must credit my big girls for preventing any broken ribs.

And to add insult to injury, I lost both games, 20-7 and 20-11.

Big Bore says he sure enjoyed our outing because I am such an adorable “down to earth” person. Very funny. Ha-ha. Next time I play the dangerous game of horseshoes, I’m wearing a suit of armor.

4 comments:

Bishops' Blog said...

I always got beat up playing horseshoes. My sisters made me be the post, while they threw the shoes at me. :)

Nancy Evans said...

Damn, girl! You must have been the baby in the family. I hope Maddie and Boomer don't get any brilliant ideas from you or poor William is going to be running for help constantly. Of course, there was the time Beans and Big Sis decided to torch my hair.....

Bishops' Blog said...

I was the baby, and I learned to get the heck out of Dodge when they broke out the lawn darts!

Sarah said...

I am glad you survived :)LOL