Wednesday, April 14, 2010

SOUTHEAST KANSAS SAFARI

The Flaming Bore has been gadding about the past five days and neglecting this blog. Much of my time was spent visiting family in Pittsburg. Great nephew Luke was my weekend hiking buddy at a wilderness park north of there. Six or seven routes are available to take, and it’s easy to go astray, which we did several times.

“Which path are we on, Aunt Nancy?” he asked during one of our wayward moments.

“I think we’re on the Psycho Path,” I told him, thinking he would enjoy the play on words. “Definitely in The Twilight Zone,” but we eventually made it back to civilization without having to put out a smoke signal.

Luke likes to play silly games while going on these adventures. This time around we staged a Star Wars battle with sword-sized sticks, balanced on fallen logs, challenged each other with spelling words, and conducted a scavenger hunt. Oh, and he also wanted to tell lame jokes.

“Well, I don't know many," I told him, "but how do you know when an elephant has been in your refrigerator?” I asked him.

“I don’t know,” he answered.

“You’ll see his footprints in the cheese.”

“Elephants can’t get inside refrigerators!” he protested.

“That’s why it’s a lame joke!”

Never a dull moment walking with The Flaming Bore.

No comments: