Thursday, April 1, 2010

SOME UNSOLICITED GARDENING ADVICE

Kudos to First Lady Michelle Obama who has once again turned part of the White House lawn into a vegetable garden this year. Now, I’m not one to always eat my veggies--I turn up my nose at a lot of them--but there’s nothing like a good ol’ pot of fresh green beans, and I eat bell peppers like they’re candy. So, I say good for Mrs. O. She has a BIG lawn and a BIG garden and she shares her bounty. A heathy green thumbs up to her--although I suspect she has lots of help.

I wonder if she gets her fingernails disgustingly dirty like mine. The newspaper picture shows her working without wearing gloves, so that’s a big plus in my book. Her hair looks too well-coifed for serious garden work, however. Plus, her pants don’t have holes in the knees and I’m certain she is wearing a bra. Serious gal gardeners do not bother with bras. We just toss on a T-shirt and get after it. I don’t always wear shoes, either. Flip-flops are better because I can get them all muddy and just rinse them off with a hose. They’ll be dry in no time. But to MO’s credit, she has on tennis shoes and not stylish pumps.

I think I should give Mrs. Obama some of my gardening tips--not about what to grow but what to wear. She’ll find that gardening is ever so much more fun when not confined by fashion restraints or photographers, for that matter. Can you dig it? Yes, we can!!!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I love that she is doing this outreach garden too! I also love how you've coined her MO. Mo will be my new reference to the First Lady :)