Friday, July 27, 2012

FLIPPING OUT

Hey, kids!  It's time to squeeze into your leotard and take off for London! The Summer Olympics is about to begin!  

I suppose my favorite spectator sport in the games is gymnastics...mainly because The Flaming Bore once experienced the agony of defeat and recognizes the degree of difficulty in trying to balance on a 4-inch wooden beam or perform a flying, mid-air splits maneuver.  Heck, I can't even maintain my balance lifting one foot off the floor.  As for the splits--forget about it.  Any attempt would result in a call to 9-1-1.

My junior high physical education teacher, the bulldog-ish Miss Mosby, tried (with little success) to teach the fine art of gymnastics.  Most of us girls lacked the agility to perform much more than a somersault, if that, but it beat having to do sit-ups and push-ups, so we went through the motions and tried, somewhat.  Mo was hard pressed to demonstrate any tricky gymnastics moves herself, so she didn't exactly push the issue, if you know what I mean. Her teaching method was more like: "Do as I say, not as I do."  Mainly because at 200+ pounds and being loaded down with a massive amount of keys attached to her man-pants, Mo was not likely to fly through the air with the greatest of ease.

So much for fond memories of my athletic prowess, or lack thereof. Light the torch and let's get this baby on!!













No comments: