Friday, July 20, 2012

HIDE AND SEEK

When my nephew's family returned Monday from their vacation to Disney World, everyone was happy to see Stripes the Cat welcoming them home.  But the next day, Stripes (aka:  Honey Badger to those nearest and dearest) went missing in action.

The kids' sweet mama went on Facebook to announce the family crisis and post a picture of Stripes.  The search was on.  Perhaps Stripes had returned to their former home, three blocks away.  They just moved to the bigger place after school got out, so maybe little kitty had sniffed her way back to more familiar grounds.  A check was made.  No Stripes.

Prayers were made that night and, lo and behold, who should come sauntering through the home turf fence the following night?

"I was on the pool slide," Boomer said, "and I looked over there (he pointed) and there was Stripes!"

Everyone got out of the pool to give their wayward pal a happy, wet welcome back to the family digs.

I stopped by to visit the crew when I was in Pittsburg yesterday.  Stripes was hanging out in the kitchen, and she let me pick her up and love her.  

"Stripes, you shouldn't give us such a scare," I said.  "Don't do that again."

Personally, I think Stripes was just paying back the family for leaving her for a week, even though she had a kind caretaker to give her food and water.  "Now you know how it feels when you leave me."

Next vacation, I have a feeling Stripes is going to demand that she gets invited to pack her little kitty luggage and join them.

No comments: