Tuesday, February 24, 2009

O-BOY!


Big Bore did the unthinkable last night. He dozed off during the first quarter of the KU-OU basketball game! He’d worked the early morning shift the previous two days, so I forgave him but not enough to spare him a 4:30 AM conversation.

“Guess who won the basketball game,” I said, my tone of voice making it obvious that I was pleased with the outcome.

“Oklahoma,” he said, just to piss me off.

“Oh, you!”

“That’s what I said. OU.”

“That’s not even funny.”

“So, did Oklahoma win, or was it Ohio?” he asked.

Well, I proceeded to give him the back-and-forth lowdown of how KU won--hooray, hooray. Of course, Oklahoma played without their star center, Blake Somebody, who was sitting on the bench in his street clothes nursing a concussion from OU’s Saturday night game with Texas. The television camera kept zooming in on the poor guy squinting, wincing, and holding his head in his hands. I wasn’t sure if his brain was still aching or he was in misery from watching his teammates’ losing effort.

Before he went to bed, Big Bore had a comment about Blake Somebody’s interesting appearance. “Why is he wearing two earrings?” he asked. “Is he gay? Don’t gay guys wear two earrings?”

“Beats me,” I answered. “Maybe he likes earrings.”

Although the earrings looked somewhat out-of-place with his appliquéd western wear jacket, sort of in the fashion style of a Porter Waggoner, I’ll give Blake Somebody credit. At least he wasn’t text messaging like that goofball from K-State who was benched for a game last week due to unsportsmanlike conduct, slapping a KU player in the face. If I’d been his coach, I would have made his butt sit out a second game, just for looking like a moron in his uniform texting during a game.

Oh, well. So much for my ace basketball commentary. The best thing about the win last night is that the ‘Hawks don’t play again until Sunday. I can now wash my KU 2008 National Championship shirt that I’ve been wearing "24-7" for the past three days. It’s getting a bit ripe. As in P-U.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Well, I'm glad you're stinky efforts paid off & helped KU to pull out the win!

2 earrings: it's a new fad. No sexual orientation associated ;)

I was kinda liking the jacket w/ the filigree designs too, very interesting!

Jaime said...

"your" not "you're" ... duh ;)

Unknown said...

glad they pulled it off, i was a bit scared for them at one point. it was a good game for sure.