Monday, February 16, 2009

ON MOTHERHOOD

I’ve been hesitating to say anything snippy about that single mother of six out in California (aka: “Octo-Mom” on the Internet) who gave birth to octuplets via in vitro fertilization last month, but I can no longer contain myself. What in the hell is she thinking???? She lives off her parents and the government, already. Now, eight more? Fourteen kids seven and under? Someone needs to report her to the Planned Parenthood Patrol.

She’s started her own website, and I’ve checked it out, of course. All it has on it, though, are pictures of the litter she had, plus links to send donations and make comments. I decided to spare her of both.

I don’t usually criticize anyone who has children since I have none. I did have a dream one time, though, that I had a baby. I put it in a cat bed in my closet and went on to work, so I guess that little sleeping escapade pretty much spells out my maternal instinct. I woke up in a cold sweat, sooooooo relieved that I wasn’t really having my cats acting as day care providers.

Playing with other people’s babies is fun, but I’m always ready to hand them back when the going gets rough. You know the scenario: crying, upchucking, diapers gone bad; I have those little bundles of joy back into the arms of their parents in zero seconds. I cannot imagine, even in my absolute worst nightmare, trying to keep up with the pooping and peeing of eight babies all at once. --I can’t afford that much kitty litter!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

LMAO! Funny dream, too! I'm thinking the older I get the less patient & more self-centered I am, not sure I could find the time for kids now. Guess that's why I have neices!

I am speechless about this woman! Her excuse that she was only trying for one more, doesn't help either! I think she really needs some psychological help, & hopefully does a decent job raising her brood!

dr. maureen said...

I also wonder about that fertility doctor---he has no ethics either. These fertility procedures are for those who CAN'T HAVE CHILDREN!!! and are in stable situations to be able to support them (we have enough children born to unstable situations!! I see them daily; but at least theywere conceived the old-fashioned way). I can't figure out how she afforded to conceive 14 kids via in vitro---it's expensive as hell and the only income I saw for her was a $150,000 disability payment from a former job and her food stamps---one or two in vitros would eat that up. That doctor needs to have his license pulled---and he and the patient need to spend some time at the "nervous hospital."

just my humble opinion...

Nancy Evans said...

Even though you only have cat and dog kids, Dr. Maureen, your degree from KU Med Center qualifies you as an expert, so you are entitled to your opinion....which is more than I can say for myself!

Dusti said...

I'm agreeing completely with the sentiment, "what the hell was she thinking?" And I think, unfortunately for the litter and those who will support them, the answer was probably $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Creepy.