Thursday, May 6, 2010

FLOWER CHILDREN

They're heeeeeeeeere!! Happy, happy, joy, joy! Happy, happy, joy, joy! The peonies at Casa de la Flaming Bore are starting to bloom! The driveway is alive with the sound of music---that’s me singing, “You Are So Beautiful” to my ten peony bushes.

Three-and-a-half years ago Big Bore and I went out to Pleasant View cemetery west of La Fontaine to dig peony eyes from one of the four giant peony bushes at the Evans family plot. Well, it was more like BB digging and me watching, because extricating peony eyes is not a task for the weak and weary. That’s why he was along, of course--to do the labor. Anyway, we brought home a bucket full of peony eyes and planted them--again, Big Bore handling the digging duties, but I had the exacting task of placing the eyes in the holes and covering them up, which is a rigorous day’s work for any retired woman in my estimation.

Mama Bore, my green thumb guru, advised it would take three or four seasons for the eye transplant to really start taking effect, and she was right. The first season all we got was greenery. We got maybe a dozen flowers total the next year, and then last spring the bushes were FULL of pink babies. This year I’ve counted 100 buds on a single bush alone. My gang of peonies originate from great stock, and Big Bore has mulched them and made sure they have fine soil and drainage. About all I do is admire them and inhale their great aroma for the two weeks of the year that they’ll be around. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it and I am more than glad to oblige!

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

my iris are blooming along with bachelor buttons. peonies in another week. tonight ate asparagus and radishes from the garden!!

Nancy Evans said...

Our neighbor brought over some asparagus Wed. night and Jeff had it cooking w/i five minutes. Sounds like your flowers about a week behind us. Most of our iris are gone now. :(