Wednesday, May 19, 2010

TUBE BOOB

“I get TV from 7 to 9,” I told Big Bore last night. “American Idol” and “Glee” are mine--all mine! Two hours of wonderful music--some great, some not-so-great, but always ever-so-much better than listening to myself sing to the cats, which is a daily excruciating experience, although Fluffy sort of digs it when I make up silly songs and the lyrics include the word, Fluffy.

I don’t consider my television hogging on Tuesday night as imposing upon BB too much. Although he doesn’t share my enthusiasm for “American Idiot,” as he calls it, “Glee” is a different story. He has a mad crush on the character named Rachel, and he loves her voice even more than her long, dark hippie hair. He has been known to give her standing ovations from his man-chair--and getting his butt out of that chair for any reason besides going to the kitchen to fetch for seconds is quite a fete.

His biggest applause last night, however, was for the glee club teacher and his old high school nemesis played by Dr. Doogie Howser himself, Neil Patrick Harris. Their Aerosmith’s duet of “Dream On” rocked the living room, although there were a few times their jumping about on the set made me fear for their body parts. Big Bore saved his teary eyes, as did I, for another duet, this time with Rachel and her long-lost mother, who sang “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Miserables.

But my favorite performances of the night were from the paraplegic Artie (Kevin McHale) who did a cool, fantasy Michael Jacksonian-type group dance at a mall to Men w/o Hats’ “Safety Dance,” and his sweet finale of Mama Cass’s (Remember The Mamas and the Papas?) “Dream a Little Dream of Me.” Oh, what a Glee-full night it was!! We gleeks at Casa de la Flaming Bore were just toe-tapping happy, happy, happy by the end of the show.

Ninety minutes later, as we cashed it in for the night, I began butchering a few notes of the Mama Cass song, thinking it appropriate bedtime music, no matter how badly it sounded.

“I sure liked the theme on ‘Glee’ tonight,” I said, giving up on my singing and trying to start a meaningful conversation.

“What do you mean?” asked BB.

“Dreams. All the songs related to the characters’ hopes and aspirations,” I explained. “And most of the songs had the word dream in their titles. Didn’t you get that?”

“No, not really,” he mumbled, already in partial-snore mode.

“Geesh. All this time I thought you were watching ‘Glee’ because of its deep connection between the plot and the music lyrics. Every week there is a theme, and the music expresses what is happening in the lives of the students and teachers. Didn’t you know that?”

“Dream on. I just like the music…zzzzzzz”

“To Dream the Impossible Dream” is more like it.

No comments: