Wednesday, June 30, 2010

LITTLE HOUSE OF HORRORS

If you have a deep passion for killing ants and flies, do I have the perfect vacation spot for you---Cross Timbers State Park, aka: Toronto Lake. When great neph Bo was here last week, he specially requested a few days of camping. I refused to pitch a tent in the hellish weather we’d been having, I’m too damned old for that, so I compromised and rented us a cabin. Big Bore and I had an enjoyable couple of days in one of these little log numbers a few years back, but that was in February when the insects weren’t lurking about--ready to annoy every breathing moment of the camping experience.

Oh, what a difference June makes. This time, the flies made their presence immediately, buzzing about on the cabin porch like the Welcome Wagon. Every time we opened the front door, about a zillion of them poured inside to make themselves comfortably at home. Eating outdoors was nearly impossible. We eventually got out the fly swatters and just beat them to a bloody fly pulp. Bo really got into his role as Chief of the SWAT Team. Kah-WAP!!!! Kah-WAP!!!! “You go, Bo!! You da man!!”

The ants were another story. They were crawling about the kitchen, ready to attack whatever was thrown into the waste basket within seconds. Bo called the park office asking for mercy, and a nice worker guy came to our rescue. He didn’t totally succeed in eradicating our ant cabin mates, but he did reduce their population to livable proportions.

Now, don’t get me wrong. We had a fine time hiking and biking and skipping rocks and building a campfire and roasting wienies and playing a raging card game of War, but the next time Bo and I go camping out, we’re staying at home!

1 comment:

Bishops' Blog said...

I won't share this post with Jon. He too, won't tent it. So, I have been trying to convince him to do the cabin thing...If he reads this, I might as well consider sleeping with our back door open a camping trip. :)