Wednesday, June 16, 2010

MOO-VE IT

Big Bore has made a special request that I blog today about one of his pet peeves. He’s about ready to pop a vein because he believes animal rights groups are going too far in their efforts. He keeps seeing a TV commercial about saving cows from being corralled with electric prods. Now he’s all for cats and dogs, other pets, and zoo animals being treated well, but his belief is that anything killed for human consumption is fair game. There, I’ve said it, and I hope he feels better.

Now, I’ve never seen the commercial. I typically flake out when commercials come on and leave the living room to do something productive, like play a game of Catch 21 on the computer or go to the bathroom. And I’m not familiar with cattle prods, other than I think that being branded by a hot iron would hurt more. But, what do I know. I’m not a cow, (contrary to what I was likely called when I was a teacher).

“They’re trying to play on people’s emotions and make you feel guilty about eating meat,” BB says about the commercial. “If they’re going to do commercials on cows, they’d better be doing them on sheep and pigs and deer and goat and chickens, and frogs, and fish, and lobsters, and squirrels, and pheasants….” you get his drift. “It’s called the food chain!” --and it has nothing to do with pets.

He is glad there are organizations to help sweet little kitty cats, but, let’s face it, all animals are not created equally. Let the cows be prodded and butchered, he says, and quit wasting money trying to save them from the slaughterhouse. It’s not gonna happen. Well, except maybe in India, I suppose.

Now, I’ve blogged before that I’m not much of a meat eater. Although I’m not a vegetarian, I go long stretches without eating the stuff. Who am I to deprive McDonald’s Corporation of employing billions of people selling billions of hamburgers, or to deny a child of having a Happy Meal? So, I am giving Big Bore his say-so today--and he didn’t even have to prod me. Much. Stick with saving pets, animal rights groups. Thank-you very much.

No comments: