Friday, July 23, 2010

DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER


As much as I love summer, I’m not too keen on sticking my feet into a body of water, unless I’m in a hot tub. Oh, I can swim okay, but it had better be in a quiet, heated pool. I don't like sharing my water space with fish and turtles and snakes and other slimy creatures.

I can’t dive. I took lessons for one day at the old Fredonia pool when I was 8 or 9. After swallowing what seemed like a gallon of water on my first attempt off the board, and choking so much that the instructor had to toss a lifesaving device to me, talk about embarrassing, I never went back. “If at first you don’t succeed, quit.” That’s The Flaming Bore Diving Motto.

I’ve traveled via water…speedboat, sailboat, steamboat, canoe, and the like, but it’s never tripped my trigger. I’m not even interested in taking one of those Titanic-sized cruises on a luxury ship. And, I’ve taken dips, ho-hum, in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, the latter being the site of a near-death experience trying to save a #$@! inner tube that my younger sister let slip away into the wild blue. You’ve seen one wave, you’ve seen ‘em all.

Need I say more? Of course, I should. When my one-time husband sold OUR motorcycle so he could buy a jet-ski that he knew I would never ride, the marriage came to a screeching halt. That’s how much I dislike water sports. Plus, I look lousy in a swimsuit. That, in itself, is reason enough. One look at me in my 20-year-old, black and gold, skirted, 1-piece floral number, and you’ll know for certain why I’ve decided to “Just Say No to H2O.”

3 comments:

Bishops' Blog said...

I have been wanting to go white water rafting for some time now, and Jon has always said, "ask Nancy, she'll go with you." After reading your post, it seems I may need to see if I can find someone else? Unless you want too?????

dr. maureen said...

you are, however, a stellar swim team clerk---evaluating the bodies in the body of water.

Nancy Evans said...

Well, Mary, for you I would go whitewater rafting again. I've been in Wyoming and Colorado. Where are you interested in doing it? Maureen---Yes, you are right about the college guys in the pool. Let's see. How long ago was I involved in that water sport?