Friday, July 30, 2010

FEELING FRUITY


Yesterday after enduring my annual mammy-grammy in the city, I told my obedient chauffeur, "Let's go pick peaches!!"

Now, Big Bore is not too keen on laboring in the afternoon summer heat, but I played up the fact that I deserved to get my way since my poor buh-zooms had been squished--plus, it wouldn't take very long. It wasn't like we were going to be picking a bushel and a peck. So, off we went to an orchard near Whitewater. We'd never been there before, but it wasn't hard to find and the owners were nice and picking peaches on low branches was easy except for when some ornery little "buzzers" gave Big Bore a scare. It's amazing how quickly he can move when he feels threatened.

Aside from playing with the flowers in our yard, the second-best enjoyment of summer is eating the wonderful fruit. We've been overdosing on cantaloupes, grapes, and our own homegrown watermelons the past few weeks. Yummy! Oh, and I can't forget the strawberries and blueberries with my birthday cake. Now, I can add fresh peaches to the party in my mouth. In a few days they should be riper and ready to serve. Add some vanilla ice cream to the bowl and, mmmmm, heaven. -----The orchard owner said pears will be ready to pick in a month. I'm going to be first in line.



2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

you need to grill the peaches--they don't even have to be totally ripe. we just cut ours in half, put them cut side down on the grill and do them for 3-5 min. the heat carmelizes them, they are even sweeter. you can them put them on ice cream, or eat them straight, or even a drizzle of honey.

Nancy Evans said...

M2 Oh, be still my heart!!!