Tuesday, September 21, 2010

SHOPPING, PART I

I went to P-burg yesterday to visit with Mama Bore and do some shopping, but a quick change in plans occurred when I arrived at Big Sis’s house.

“Aunt Nancy!!!!” I heard as I walked up the porch steps.

Apparently it was an in-service day at school, so Maddie and Boomer were staying with Grandma and Grandpa. Some re-scheduling immediately had to be done. After much grueling debate the new plan of attack would be: 1. Shopping with Maddie 2. Visit Mom 3. Shopping with Boomer.

Maddie and I had three places to hit up, but the main mission was to purchase a wedding present for one of my former students who had registered at a store I have boycotted most of this year. I dare not repeat the name, but it begins with a “W” and ends with a “Mart.” I figured since I was buying for someone else and not for myself that the boycott would basically remain intact.

So, Maddie and I went to the computerized gift registery at the “W” store, and after a load of complications the damned thing finally belched forth nine pages of items that the bride and groom would like to receive. Maddie was impressed.

“Wow! They’re gonna get lots of presents!”

I decided to make it easy and get the very first selection from page one, an Igloo ice chest, and off we went into the bowels of the store to find the sporting goods department. We eventually located the correct size and color and loaded it into the shopping cart.

“Okay,” I said. “Next stop the check-out stand.”

“But we’re not done,” Maddie protested. “There’s still all those other things on the list.” She pointed at the nine pages flopping around in the bottom of the cart.

“I only have enough money to buy one. Those are for their other friends and family to get them,” I explained. “This is kind of like a wish list of what the bride and groom would like to have from everyone they’ve invited.”

“Ohhhhh.” The comprehension kicked in.

Some little girl I know is going to turn 7 in a few weeks, and if the “W” store has a Birthday Registry, I think I know who is going to be the first person in line to sign up.

Part II tomorrow: Shopping with Boomer

No comments: