Friday, September 3, 2010

SO LONG TO THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER

This has been one of my weeks to take care of the Garden Club garden downtown. I am lucky because the temperatures haven’t been too high, we got barrels of rain yesterday afternoon, and the gal who had the week before me was jolly on the spot with weeding and deadheading. There hasn’t been too much back bending to do, which my bend-challenged spine appreciates.

Meanwhile, at Casa de la Flaming Bore, the front yard backhoe destruction is working its way down and we should be ready to re-seed the grass next week. What happens with the ugly 10-foot scar in the garden ground cover area in front of the porch remains to be seen until next spring. I’m thinking the striped ajuga is like the Phoenix and will eventually return.

Big Bore and I were noting yesterday that it was nice to look out one of the living room windows to see the butterflies hanging out around the butterfly bush and the morning glories that cling to the downspout. MGs have also taken over the green bean area that never gained steam this summer, so that spot is not a total loss. We didn’t plant them. They just legally migrated over from the bottle tree, I guess. Beautiful.

Since I was feeling sorry for myself for having a bad August, I bought the above front porch art--like I really needed it--last weekend. It’s supposed to cheer me up. So, I guess I’ll go outside, look at it, and crack a smile before my frowny face becomes permanent. This ol’ dog needs to smell the flowers and quit growling.

No comments: