Tuesday, August 14, 2012

ABOUT AS GOOD AS IT GETS

Yesterday was one of those banner days around Casa de la Flaming Bore. It started out with a breezy 68 degrees for watering the garden and sitting out on the porch slurping coffee.  Then Sweet Neighbor Girl came over for some cat chat, deadheading, and a discussion of what we were going to do on her last day of freedom (school starts today!)  She decided we should go to the library, not to put away books and videos this time, but to hang out in the magazine lounge.  We took our own beverage of choice, hot chocolate and vanilla chai tea, a box of good ol' honey buns, and chilled out with some fave magazines.  In my case, it was the ones about gardening, while she chose Seventeen so she could have a fashion fantasy. I think she is determined to make the library tres chic.

While we were doing our girl thing, Big Bore took off for Climax to visit his big bro and sis-in-law, which  he enjoyed. From what he reported, they talked about their gardens, bird houses, and then took a drive out in the country to inspect what is called The Bottoms, which has to do, I believe, with the Fall River and not the derrieres of Climaxians. But then, what do I know?  (Question to Bill and Janet:  Are people who live in Climax called Climaxians, Climaxers, Climaxites, or just plain lucky?)

In the evening I went to the Open House at the high school in order to touch base with some former teaching co-horts.  I wanted to wish them well for the upcoming academic year, but I think they thought I was there to rub in my freedom from lesson plans and curriculum alignment.  It's funny, but the older teachers seemed more enthusiastic and ready to roll than the younger ones.  Maybe that's because they know they are one year closer to retirement.

After that, I pedaled my bike on up to the library again for the monthly meeting of our Friends of the Library group.  After the business part, we had a lively discussion about our book of the month, One Thousand White Women.  A big thumbs up. --By the time I got home, BB was in bed and I was ready for a late supper--a bowl of Sugar Pops, along with cottage cheese and homegrown tomatoes. Mmmmm good.

We are receiving a misty rain this morning, so I plan to crash out on the front porch hammock and read. As the title of this blog says, this is.......





supper of Sugar Pops.  

No comments: