Thursday, August 16, 2012

WHERE ON EARTH?

Trouble #1 came over after school today and immediately made a beeline to the computer.

"Nancy, will you get me on the map so I can see my house?"

He's talking about Google Earth. I've taken him to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower. We've gone to New York City to scope out airplanes at JFK International, and we've crossed the Golden Gate Bridge. Today we hit up south central Kansas for awhile and then came this request:

"Can we go to the North Pole to see where Santa Claus lives?"

"Well, I don't think there's a way we can see it because it's so icy up there," I said, trying to think fast.  "Do you have another place you'd like to see?  

"I want to see where the Titanic went down in the ocean."  Good grief!  Give me a break, kid. Where does he come up with these ideas?

Google Earth didn't seem to have the exact spot has was asking for, so I came up with something better.  

"Let's get on YouTube and we can take a trip down to the bottom of the ocean and actually see what the Titanic looks like today."

"Oh, yeah!!"

So for the next 30 minutes or more, we weaved our way in and out of the Titanic. He was mesmerized.  And, truth be known, even though I'd seen it all before on TV, it was interesting to watch once again--especially with a five-year-old kid who has an active imagination.

"Look, Nancy! There's a skeleton!"  

"Look, Nancy! There's some spirits floating around!"

"Look, Nancy!"  --Every turn of the underwater camera, there was something cool to see--chandeliers, shoes, plates, all sorts of treasures, thanks to a little sea-bot camera.

We finally finished our dive, but he was still interested in more adventure, so we stayed on YouTube and I linked us up to some virtual amusement park rides. I got dizzy after three or four roller coasters, but he was still eager to "ride" so I left him on his own.  His attention span eventually maxed out, and he finally decided it was time to get home for supper. 

"See ya later, alligator."

"After while, crocodile."

If his kindergarten teacher conducts "Show and Tell" tomorrow, he's going to have quite a story.








No comments: