Wednesday, August 1, 2012

FLOWER BUDDY

I'm proud to announce that I have created a gardening monster.

This morning as Sweet Neighbor Girl and I were walking into the public library, I bent over to pick out a weed I'd spotted near the sidewalk, and that got her going.

"Oh, that reminds me," she started.  "The other day I was at the pool, and there are some pink flowers growing there, and they really needed deadheading badly, and it was just driving me crazy, so I decided to go over and start deadheading them because I couldn't keep my hands off them, and my friend asked me, 'What are you doing?' and I said, 'I'm deadheading. What do you think I'm doing?'  (Time out to take a breath.) It seems like wherever I go, if I see flowers that need deadheaded, I want to go over and do it right then and there."

I didn't bother explaining to her that it's a curse...like some obsessive/compulsive disorder. I go through the deadheading motions every day, sometimes several times a day, during the growing season and then suffer from withdrawal symptoms over the winter.

I haven't yet told SNG about the joys of collecting seeds from some of the deadheads, but tonight I "harvested" some hardy hibiscus pods and hollyhock pods and next time she comes over and asks, "Whatcha wanna do?", we're going to do some serious seed picking.

No comments: