Wednesday, January 9, 2008


BLOG #1-Jan. 9, 2008-OL' WHAT'SHISNAME
Written by Bore #1




Yesterday, I had lunch with another retired English teacher, Bore #2. Actually, we retired together. Conversation eventually drifted to former students, and we found ourselves unable to remember entire names of them.
"What's Trent doing these days?"
"Which Trent?"
"Oh, you know. Trent---he was a senior our last year of teaching."
"Well, there was more than one." I came up with the last name of one of them, but he was not the specific one she was asking about.
"This Trent was quiet."
"Oh, I know which one you mean. He sat in the last seat in the north row of desks when I had him as a sophomore. What was his last name?"
"Maybe if I go to the bathroom, I'll remember."
She took off to the bathroom, while I sat in the resraurant booth mentally going down the alphabet trying to find the right letter that went with this particular Trent's last name. Hopeless. Bore#2 returned from the john, without the last name, so we went on to another student, whose last name we recalled but whose first name was missing in our minds. I came up with his brother's first name, but that didn't count.
"It begins with a T," said Bore #2. "Trent? Travis? Troy?"
Fortunately, a current school secretary bopped in the restaurant for lunch to save us. We gave her the last name and she immediately said, "Trevor."
"Well, I was close!" said Bore #2 triumphantly.
Sure is fun being forgetful.

No comments: