Thursday, January 17, 2008

SNOW KIDDING


Well, it snowed again last night. Not enough to have any fun with, though. We had one real doozy last year, so Big Bore and I went outside and made a Christmas tree out of snow and played snow baseball. The tree lasted one day--neighborhood thugs did a drive-by that night and busted up all the snow creations on our street. I retaliated by making a smaller version in the safety of our fenced-in backyard, and it lasted until the spring thaw.


We had enough snow and ice a month ago for some quality sledding, but we never saw any kids taking advantage of it. Mama Bore in Fredonia observed the same thing.


"Where are all the kids with their sleds?" she asked. "I used to see bunches of them traipsing by when it snowed."


"Ah, they're all at home text messaging their friends or downloading dirty pictures on their computers," I told her. "They're a lot more sophisticated than we were when we were kids."


For the past 50+ years, she has lived near the base of the South Mound in Fredonia. Now, the streets leading up to the South Mound were once Sledding Central in the winter time. There were, and maybe still are, three different paths to go down: the one-block long, steeper Carney Street, the two-block long curve around 7th onto Robinson, or the two-block curve around 7th on down to Washington, which was the highway through town. The city crew workers would put chat down at the Washington base to prevent nasty run-ins with the big rigs. Every once in a while, we would sled on past the barricades there and say a little prayer that traffic would be light. I can't recall any lawsuits.


Probably everyone who ever grew up in Fredonia has his or her own sledding accident story, and my big one was a fabulous tandem curb jumper with my pal Rat. All day long, it seemed, we had been taking the 7th Street route down to the highway, but adding our own little twist. Once we rounded the first block, we would jump the curb at Robinson and then sled through all the yards, including his own, on to Washington. Rat was the steering man on the bottom, and I was the giggling weight on the top.


I'm not exactly sure what went wrong on what turned out to be our last leap of the day. We either got too much air, or not enough, or Rat just oversteered, but we ending up slamming, and I do mean slamming, into a guide wire. Instant WHAM!!!! Then we went rolling off the sled. I don't remember crying--pros like us tried not to cry--but we both went home to our moms to nurse our wounds. The next day at school I showed off the best black eye in my life, while the Rat was absent. In fact, I think he was home for several days recuperating from the jolt. Fifty-plus years later, we still laugh about it. At the risk of sounding like my cranky Grandma Bore, "Kids these days don't know what they're missing out on!"

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I have some fun sledding memories I need to blog about too. The kids in ElDorado seem to all go to the lake dam. It is packed everytime it snows.

Unknown said...

Hey, I have been trying to find you on myspace. This is Tara Barnow and Dusti said you were on there but I haven't been able to find you. I just started this blog stuff so you and Sarah are going to have to help me out!! You can view my myspace at www.myspace.com/vball_chic14

Nancy Evans said...

Well, hey, there Tara B! Are you still in SE Kansas? All I've done in MySpace is put in a picture. I haven't quite figured it out yet. My brain can only handle so much technology at one time. I will check out your MySpace pretty soon. Sarah got me started on the weblog recently. It's a good outlet for me since I'm retired and have the time to write, write, write. Most of it is just silly stuff, of course. I should write about the goofball yearbook staff of 1998. Hands down, that was the most hilarious group I ever had. I hear it is no longer a tightly-knit group of dingalings. Too bad. My e-mail address is: greykatz@carrollsweb.com. Good to hear from you. n

Sarah said...

CLASS OF 98????????????

My feelings are hurt. ;)ha ha

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, Sarah, you just had to be there. I had most of the seniors for all three years, and they were nuts. Tara, Lindsey Sowder, Sarah Houseman, Clint Stephens, Mark Perrier, Chris Lutz were the seniors. Jon Phelan and Michael Allen were around as juniors, as was Dusti. The boys had a cinnamon roll baking contest; Clint had a rubber rat that was always getting killed in bizarre ways; Tara was Tara. The theme had the kids listing a movie on every double-page spread, and there were LOTS of rejects that would have gotten us in BIG trouble.

Unknown said...

Thank goodness I was me and not someone else!!! It had to have been the best time ever, without doing anything illegal or getting in trouble!! We pressed the issues a couple of times but never that far!! Remember Lucy the rat who we sent away and never heard from again? And Chris painted his nails bright red, we played bowling with plastic pins, and it was a blast!! I still talk to Sarah, Linds, and Cindy McMillen. Chris is on myspace and Clint is on facebook. My email address is: vball_chic14@yahoo.com

No, I am no longer in SE Kansas. We lived in Joplin for awhile then moved to Canada where my husband is from. We are living in Hamilton which is 45 mins from Toronto and Niagara Falls. Are you coming to the renunion in the summer?? That would be great!

Nancy Evans said...

Your memory is failing you already, Tara. It was the Madonna the Dancing Hippo that we sent to Eureka, California (and, alas, sob, we never saw again!!). Lucy the Rat was Clint's sister's rubber rat that was first placed in my desk drawer and later placed in "rat traps" like the paper cutter or hung from the ceiling on a mini parachute. I told you, Sarah, if you're still reading this, they were goofballs!

Unknown said...

How could I forgehet the hippo? You are right, memory is failing me. Lucy, well, was tortured on a daily basis. We probably should have called the humane society or something. We were always doing mean things to it to hear Clint whine about her. It was the best!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I haven't heard from RAT in about a month now and am beginning to worry about him!

Nancy Evans said...

I suspect he is visiting friends in Florida, away from the lousy weather. Been a long time since he's been able to get away. Let me know if/when you hear from him. n