Monday, January 28, 2008

CAN DO


Almost two hours of the afternoon yesterday was devoted to my obsession for picking up aluminum cans. Yes, folks, now you know why I call myself the Flaming Bore!
This sickness developed over a year ago when Big Bore was recuperating from arterial bypass surgery to his right leg and needed to walk a mile or more for daily physical therapy. He preferred walking out in the country, and we almost immediately noticed how the roadsides were littered with beer and pop cans. It soon became our mission to clean up Greenwood County! We would multi-task: get exercise walking and bending, clean up the messes left by inconsiderate, law-breaking slobs, and then sell the cans for gasoline money so we could afford to keep driving out in the country looking for litter. Talk about recycling!
Since then, it's just been one big aluminum Easter egg hunt. Every once in awhile, we've hit the Mother Lode and found dozens of cans tossed together...no doubt a party spot for teens or a rest area for oil field workers too lazy to pick up after themselves. We've also found other treasures: an unclaimed lottery ticket worth $10.00, a new pair of gloves, interesting looking rocks for our garden. Of course, we've also found a few snakes, animal remains, and horse patootie along the way.
So, as the #1 Bore of all Bloggers, I want to highly recommend that you readers become environmentally aware, join me in my war against lowly litterbugs, and pick up the aluminum cans dumped in your little part of the world. You will feel pride in fulfilling your duty as a decent human being. Just be sure to de-contaminate with a long, hot bath when you return home!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That is wonderful of you guys doing that. I can remember Earth Day when I was young my mom to take us girls up and down our local road towards the highway and pick up trash and put in our red wagon. I think that is a good tradition to start with Tay. But Everyday, not just Earth day.
Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Good for you guys!! We recycle every day in our blue boxes the city provides us with. We have recycle pick up and trash pick up. They limit our garbage to 2 bags a week in hopes of getting more people to recycle. I am also recycling clothes...I have a box to send to Sarah's daughter Charlotte. Kenley outgrew them too quick!

Sarah said...

Tara, El Dorado has the same trash program. Two trash bags, and you can have as many recycle as you want. We do that too. So I am doing something good. Yipeee

Unknown said...

I thought it was only a big city thing, but glad to see that other places have it too!! You guys are doing good deeds 2...Excellent!! We probably don't recycle as much as we should, but we are trying. Thats a start right?