Wednesday, January 23, 2008

CALL 9-1-1


Yesterday afternoon, I jerked awake from a nap with a startling revelation: I hadn't re-filled the prescription for my Tegretol. Oh, no!!!!!

Tegretol is what keeps my maddening tinnitus less maddening. Without it, my right inner ear turns into a raging Geiger counter.

I had no vehicle at the time, but I was convinced I could walk to the pharmacy--if I wore about 100 pounds worth of parkas, or better yet, I could call the local taxi service. I grabbed the almost-empty pill bottle, ready to roll, when I discovered the prescription had EXPIRED on Dec. 22, 2007.

This was REALLY not good. I had to call the pharmacy and call my doctor's office with my emergency. My doctor has had recent heart surgery, so I had to explain my problem to his staff, a lengthy chore in itself. All was finally resolved but not in time for me to get the pills until this morning. So, last night I scrounged around looking for wayward pills that might have fallen out of the bottle. I got out a flashlight, peered under the dresser and bed, searching for a tiny white pill that would keep the ear from going ballistic. No luck. I ended up taking just one pill instead of two at bedtime so I would have something left for this morning.

This is the LAST time I will let this happen!!!! Honest.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This has happened to us before too!! Jason takes Tegretol for his epilepsy. He has forgetten to do the exact thing and had to scrounge around looking for some instead of searching for couch change!

Nancy Evans said...

How long has he been on it? I'm going on 6 years. It's been the only thing that helps my inner ear, and I've tried about everything, including ear surgery, accupressure, accupuncture, other meds, blah, blah, blah. I feel like a junkie because I'm so dependent on it.

Sarah said...

Sounds like a stressful night.

Unknown said...

He has been on it since he was 13 so close to 15 years. Its the only medicine that keeps his seizures under control. He doesn't like taking it, but the alternative is too risky!

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, I know how the med is the lesser of the evils. I was just taking 600 mg. a day until a relapse in October...now on 1200 mg a day. It makes me jittery sometimes. Hope Jason doesn't have any bad side effects. n