Monday, August 24, 2009

HAPPY CAMPER


Big Bore and I spent four days and three nights last week at 30-Mile Campground. It is at the base of the Rio Grande Reservoir in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, 12 miles from the nearest highway. No television. No computers. No flush toilet. Just trees and mountains. The above picture was my view from inside our tent.

When BB was a Little Bore, some of his family's summer vacations were spent at this same campground, so it has fond, special memories for him. "I can't believe how tall and thick the trees have gotten." The passing of thirty-plus years tends to create strange special effects.



Here is a picture of him at Thirty-Mile Campground when he was 10-years-old, proudly showing off his Trout Catch of the Day:

And here he was last week proudly showing off his Trout Catch of the Deja Vu:



I enjoyed going on hikes, searching for the perfect rocks to bring home and add to my collection. Here's one we couldn't quite squeeze into the car:


And here I am taking a break at Squaw Creek:


Mostly, we just admired the beautiful scenery and wished Kansas looked like this:


But even amidst these stunning surroundings, Big Bore couldn't stop thinking about home: his garden, his cushy bed, even the goofball cats. "I think I have become an old man," he said at one point. Amen to that.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Such beautiful pictures. I am glad you guys had a great time!!!