Friday, May 20, 2011

WHAT'S UP, DOC?

Yesterday Big Bore called me to the front porch. "There's someone cute here to see you." I thought maybe it was the sweet neighbor girl, but he pointed to the yard, where I saw a little bunny, scared and motionless. We talked to it a while, and then BB got bored and went inside. I continued to get closer and closer to the bunny, still baby talking it, until it finally scampered away.

But that's not the end of this story. Shortly after that, as I was weeding, our neighbor The Farmer got my attention. He was not a happy person. Guess who has been eating off the tops of the green beans in his wife's vegetable garden? I told him I'd seen the likely culprit hopping into another neighbor's yard. Oops.

Before I could say Jack Rabbit he had out his BB gun, and his wife and Big Bore and he were all plotting against the "wascally wabbit." It was straight out of an Elmer Fudd cartoon. All they needed were the goofy hunters' hats.

Well, as much as I don't like critters in the garden, I couldn't stay around for the big game hunt, so I retreated inside the house while they lay in wait for the critter to show up again....which it did, of course. Big Bore didn't go into detail, other than to say it took about 20 misses and a lot of wrangling, but he said that he doesn't think the bunny will be back. At least not THAT one.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Poor baby Bunny

dr. maureen said...

what a revoltin' situation!!