Wednesday, March 26, 2008

NO NEWS IS BAD NEWS


Big Bore is a front porch swingin' kind of guy. When he doesn't have to work the morning shifts, his favorite place to start out the day is outside at the crack of dawn, sipping his coffee, and giving the porch swing its workout. He feeds the birds, watches them eat, talks to them, whistles to them, whatever meets his fancy. He also surveys the neighborhood, assessing the progress of the remodelling going on across the street, taking note of whose dog is running loose, and discussing the weather with the guy next door. Lord of the Bungalow.


Also on his morning agenda is to bring me the Wichita Eagle when it arrives, but yesterday he had a sad story to report to me, as I rolled out of bed. The carrier had driven right on by our house without tossing the paper!! Now, just like Big Bore, I am a creature of morning habits--and mine is to read the newspaper while I'm eating breakfast. I like to check on the political capers of the day, fret over the world events, read the editorials, pour over the sports stats, outline my evening television watching, and just, in general, soak in the written word--except for the ads and stock market reports. By the time I'm finished reading, maybe an hour or so later, the living room is one big wad of newspaper. I'm happily informed and ready for the rest of the day.


Well, when I didn't get the Eagle yesterday, I didn't quite go into a panic, but I did call the carrier to sweetly ask him to return with the goods. Of course, no one was home, so I left a message on the phone recorder. He never did come back by--guess I didn't sound desperate enough-- so I was in a funk all day long. Even Big Bore said he missed my usual paper mess.


This morning, two newspapers arrived---yesterday's edition that was missing in action and then today's. Although I was glad to finally get the old news (an oxymoron!), it wasn't as much fun reading it a day late. I found myself just skimming through it so I could move on to the issue that was hotter off the press. Breakfast did taste better, though, and I was able to ease on down the road the rest of the day without feeling like I was incomplete.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't it funny how we get into our routines. We all have them and don't even realize till something gets in the way. I am glad you got your paper, the nerve of that guy to just drive on by.

Anonymous said...

Do things like this remind you of your mother? It does me. Remember how we all said we wouldn't become like ours? I think we have already.

Nancy Evans said...

Yes, we do, indeed, become like our moms. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, though!