Saturday, March 29, 2008

SINGING THE BLUES


Last week I came across an article and picture in the newspaper about Paul McCartney's divorce settlement. I can remember when he was once a member of The Beatles and innocently sang a humorous little ditty called, "When I'm 64," which spoke of the possibility of relationships changing due to advanced age.... "When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now...."

Like most other teen-aged girls in the 1960s, I was a Beatles Maniac. From the very first time they appeared on the Sunday night Ed Sullivan TV show, I was hooked. "Love, love me do...." You bet I did! The Liverpool Lads, as they were known, shook their shaggy hair right into my heart.

Everyone had a favorite Beatle, and mine was George, the youngest of the quartet. He wasn't the cutest--that was Paul; he wasn't the funniest--that was Ringo; and he wasn't the leader of the pack, like John. George was tall, dark, and quiet, enigmatic, with soulful brown eyes. To show my devotion to him, I owned a 5-inch-high rubbery George doll and kept a George scrapbook. Sigh!

My older brother, Beans, liked The Beatles, too. He was quite a 45-RPM record buyer in his heyday, and he owned all the big hits. He had about a half-dozen prized Beatles records, most of which curled belly-up when our younger siblings lined them atop the floor furnace during a creative game of "choo-choo train records." The day of the big meltdown was a sad one for Beans, and was even sadder for me because I was supposed to have been watching the little brats.

The Beatles evolved over the years from their squeaky clean image into guru-hugging dope smokers, but my devotion remained...until John hooked up with Yoko and left the group John-less. Singularly, I was never as gung-ho for any of the Fab Four. They moved on and so did I.

When I saw the newspaper picture of a weary Paul exiting divorce court last week, minus $48.6 million from his bank account, I was reminded again of his old song. "....Will you still need me? Will you still feed me, when I'm 64?" He first sang those lyrics at age 25, probably never thinking his face would be creased and his cheeks jowled like they are now. He'd be "the cute one" forever. He's almost 66 now. I'm almost 59. Good grief! When did all this happen?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am sending you a package tomorrow. It is all there. Will tell you later when to expect it. Another interview this week so your masterpiece is working! Can't begin to thank you enough. haven't heard yet about the last week's trip.

By the way?? Who did I go to Proms with? All I remember is the theme and a light blue satin sheath with an organza overlay that was homemade. I remember what Stephanie Stotts wore!! Seems we went in her Caddy? Maybe that was another dance. The bank mgr took me to Valentine's dance and I was though dating RAT. Maybe you or Pam can remember my life, since I have slipped a cog?

Nancy Evans said...

How about Darrell Kibby? Pam went with the banker to Jr. Prom. Or, you may have gone with John T. ???

Glad another interview is imminent. You give me far too much credit for the resume. All I did was fix some things that most people wouldn't have noticed in the first place.

My computer is back home temporarily. Long story.

Sarah said...

Ah yes the Beatles. My fav was Ringo. I didn't grow up during the invasion, but I have seen movies and all my mom's stuff she has collected during her obsession. I guess during my time was New Kids on the Block. My fav. was Jordan.