Monday, March 10, 2008

SOCIAL BUTTERFLY


I usually have a social calendar that is empty, but Saturday I had three special events to attend. The first was my great nephew's second birthday celebration in Pittsburg. He didn't sleep through it like he did at last year's party. In fact, he didn't miss a beat. He got scads of cool gifts--a new home will be required to store it all. I got him a porcupine hand puppet. It sort of looks like a spiky mullet wig, but he seemed to think it was okay, especially when the porcupine played catch with him. --Returned to Eureka in time to attend a boy scouts dinner. Our neighbor Scott is a boy scout, and he never fails to stop by when there is a fund-raiser. He knows I will buy anything he's selling. Big Bore was an Eagle Scout in his heyday and he, too, is a pushover. --The final event of the evening was a housewarming party for the new neighbors down the street. They are a young couple, former students of mine, with two daughters, and they've been working on this big fixer-upper for a year now. It looks great. I am so happy to see nice people move into the 'hood. I forgot to ask if they are cat people.

Sure signs that spring is almost here: 1. The tulips and daffodils are peeking out of the ground, 2. The seamless guttering guys are at our house, better preparing us for rainy days, and 3. I've had my first dog bite of the year...from a vicious shitzu (or shiztu, or however it's spelled) that was on a leash!! Can you believe it? I swear, I must have a sign on my back that says, "Please attack me!"

No comments: