Thursday, March 27, 2008

SOMETHING'S FISHY


Another sure sign that spring has arrived: Big Bore has gone fishing today. For several hours last night, with the precision of a brain surgeon, he condensed his five tackle boxes into four, then organized them by bait type, lure type, hooks, bobbers, etc. Very scientific stuff. The quest for channel cat has begun!!

Since I'm sitting here at the computer, you can guess that fishing is not high on my recreational priority list. In fact, it's close to the bottom, right before hunting Bambi. I don't think I've wormed-up a hook since the time my Granny Bore took me to Low-Water Bridge at Fredonia's Fall River Dam and kept yelling at me to quit scaring away the fish---about 50 years ago.

I accompanied my ex-husband on a few disastrous fishing trips, which I found boring, just watching him toss out/reel in, toss out/reel in. I'd usually end up in the car with a good book and leave him to his own devices, hoping that the fish would outwit him and live a day longer. We once went to a commercial fish farm pond while vacationing in Colorado, where he paid big bucks to catch a half-dozen 8-inch trout in about three minutes. They must have been starving, as they hit the bait as soon as it was cast. The ex paid the staff at the "farm" to clean the trout, and we had a fish fry that night, but I refused to eat them on the principle that the poor things didn't have a fair chance.

Big Bore is glad that I'm not a cling-on and want to go fishing with him. We both know that I'd be whining, watching the clock, and bitching about the smell of the shad side bait he uses. He's a catch and releaser, so I don't have to worry about fish guts laying in the yard for weeks, and as long as he takes a shower within 10 seconds of arriving home, we'll get along just fine.

4 comments:

Dusti said...

Jermie's big on fishing too. Your description of Big Bore with the tackle boxes made me laugh, my hubby does the same thing. He was planning to fish tonight with a buddy, but the bud skipped out so who knows what the plans are. I'm not a cling-on either, although I enjoy being near the water. Only if the weather is perfect though, and I used to always take a good book with me. I won't have as many chances to just lounge around in the sun though, and fishing and toddlers won't always be a good mix! Still, we're planning to be super-campers this summer and that will kind of be "our thing" for the many nice-weather days and weekends to come. Love it. I'm a fish-fry person though, although Jermie does all the cleaning and cooking. But my personal style of fishing used to be to have jermie put the worm on the hook one time, cast it out and let it get stuck at the bottom of the lake or pond or whatever, and then get my book out. I might play around with the pole every once in awhile to look "busy." :-) I like everything about fishing, except actually doing it!

Nancy Evans said...

Your last line cracked me up! One of these years, I can see Jermie and the boys taking the male bonding camping trips into the wilds. --Say, I've come up with another name for the baby-to-be: Fonzie!!! Fonzie Fansler has such great alliteration, don't you think? I know you'll be putting this one on your list!!!! Love ya! N

Dusti said...

You crack me up too! Fonzie Flash Fansler. :-) The Fonz! The Flash! Gabe and The Fonz. Gabe and The Flash. Oh they won't know what to call him! Fun, we don't know what to call him either! :-) What are your thoughts on Canyon Daniel Fansler? This is one of the more interesting ones Jermie's put on his list. He also likes the name Slim. :-)

Dusti
www.memberofthepress.blogspot.com

Kayle said...

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only female not interested in their husbands fishing needs. This weekend I spent some fun filled time in Pro Bass getting just the right spinners and then back home to reorganize everything!! Hey, Nancy we need to get our guys together and let them bond in our boat in the middle of nowhere and us gals surely can find something more fun to do around here.