Saturday, March 8, 2008

A TOY STORY

About five years ago, I went goofy on eBay looking for old toys like the ones I had when I was a kid. I came up with a few great finds, namely Gund brand plush gray and red elephants, and Dolls of Nations by the Duchess Doll Company.

I received the original elephant for Christmas when I was three years old. Still have it, in fact, although it has been through hell and back and looks it. Some of the ones I've purchased through eBay are in pristine condition, I'm happy to say. They've obviously never had a child slobbering all over them.


I never actually owned one of the miniature dolls as a child, just coveted them. They belonged to my big sister, who was quite a proud collector in the 1950s. She purchased them at a grocery store in town for a dollar apiece. I recall them being placed in the produce section for some reason, as one had to reach past the lettuce to get to them.


My favorites were her Spanish Girl, Dolly Madison, and Carmen Miranda, but she had many more. Once removed from their red, white, and blue boxes, they stood upright with the help of heart-shaped, clear, plastic footstands, with a wire that stretched across the white shoes. My big brother actually owned a doll, too--a cowboy with faux leather chaps, holster, and plastic six-shooter. Cool.


Well, thanks to eBay and low prices, I've become the mayor of a whole town-full of the old Dolls of All Nations--more than my sister ever thought of having, or wanting, for that matter. They are everywhere. My favorites are on display. I talked Mom into spiffing up some of the outfits that needed overhauling after half a century. She did a great job and even created a Little Red Riding Hood for me.


Some people collect expensive antiques. I collect gray and red stuffed elephants and cheap plastic dolls. They don't talk, or walk, or drive around in toy Corvettes, but I like them, nonetheless. They just stare down at me from the shelves. Doesn't take much to make me happy.

No comments: