Tuesday, June 2, 2009

HAVING A HISSY FIT


First slugs! Now birds! My strawberry patch is being eaten before my own sorry eyes! The beer traps have worked wonders in keeping the slugs at bay, but now the birds are dive bombing the patch and nibbling away. Big Bore suggested I buy some plastic snakes from the toy department at the local ALCO to scare them off, so that’s what I’ve done.

These just aren’t any old run-of-the-mill plastic snakes, though. These are the deluxe “Magic Grow Super Snakes” that have “authentic details,” and grow to over 48 inches when submerged in water over the course of several days. “Just place it in water and watch it grow, grOW, GROW!!” Well, I’ve been watching for 30 minutes, but nothing has happened yet. By morning, I expect to have the Loch Ness Monster in that pink pail.

If these fake reptiles don’t work, I’m waving the white flag and giving up. My patience is SHRINKING, SHRINKing, shrinking.

(P.S. Does anyone know why this picture kept coming up sideways? It's a horizontal shot.)

2 comments:

Dusti said...

Well, your little strawberry leaves look healthy in that picture, at least? :-) You've obviously got more of a green thumb than I have. I did throw out some wildflower seeds... still expecting miracles. :-)

Check out my blog for a long comment in response to yours about my work.

Sorry I'm a blog lurker on your site and not leaving you more comment love (*slaps hand*) I'm glad you're reading my updates... even the boring work-related rants! :-)

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Big Bore have a spare rattlesnake skin left lying around the cabin?? This really works well for the owls. The only problem is I think it attracted them!!