Sunday, June 28, 2009

ON APPROACHING SIXTY


Let the countdown begin! The final five days of my 50s are here. On Friday I will turn 60. Now 59 doesn't sound so old. But 60? How in the heck did this slip up on me?

The worst bit about this age change is that I will qualify for a discount at the neighborhood grocery store, so I will have to take over shopping duties from Big Bore. Hitting up the supermarket is not my cup of tea--or gallon of milk, for that matter. Give me the blasted list, get me in, check me out, pronto. With BB, it's a joyful, leisurely field trip. He comes home all excited, showing off bargains, and lovingly putting everything away.

To get myself into a better mood about my impending old age, I've created my own Top Ten List Why I'm Happy to be 60. Here it is:

10. Another year closer to receiving Social Security benefits

9. I don't have to worry about losing my job in these tough economic times because I don't even have a job. And I'm not looking for one, either!

8. Younger friends feel obligated to lie and say, "You don't look sixty."

7. Sixty is easier to spell than fifty-nine

6. More senior citizen discounts kick in

5. My cougar status gets elevated a notch

4. Good excuse for being bitchy

3. Good excuse for jogging so slowly around the track

2. When I deliberately don't want to do something, I can just say, "I forgot," and no one is the wiser

1. Sixty sort of sounds like sexy!

T-minus five days and it's BLAST OFF!

7 comments:

dr. maureen said...

AND YOU REALLY DON'T LOOK--OR ACT--SIXTY!! i still think of us as carefree 20-somethings getting into trouble...

Nancy Evans said...

Yes, M, it seems like only yesterday when we were terrorizing the Student Union at Pitt and lusting after those in tiny swim trunks.

Anonymous said...

On some days I feel about thirty two. Unfortunately there are other days, usually nights, when I feel like eighty. I don't think the next twenty years are going to be pretty but I guess my philosophy is to come into the finish line all beaten and battered up cause I've had a good ride. Shades of Dorain Gray are not my cup of tea. Celebrate those discounts. I love em!!

Unknown said...

60? Are you sure you didn't forget how to count?? You don't look or act anything like a 60 yr old, but gobble up those discounts. lol

Have a good Monday.

Sarah said...

It is also a good excuse to walk around town with a big hole in your pants (pretending) you don't know. haha...

**and my dear it is just a number. I know you will make 60 the new 30!

Dusti said...

You're stunning us all. I think of you as my age. :-)

Celebrating your 60th in Toronto for the fireworks display??

Dusti said...

Also, I added a note on my blog but to get it back to you, I'll post the motorcycle details here: It's a Kamasaki Vulcan 800 Classic Cruiser. That's a lot of titles. I have to learn my motorcycle speak to know if I got them all in order! :-) I don't know the year/miles or any of that jazz. In fact, just this morning I learned that a motorcycle doesn't have a fuel gague!!! WTH? lol.