Thursday, June 25, 2009

PERSONAL BEST


"Are you going for a new record?" Big Bore asked me last night as I headed to the library to yank weeds in the garden areas there, after having spent a good four hours tending my own turf. I knew exactly what he was talking about: chigger bites.

You see, I forgot to spray on the Cutter when we were doing yard work at Mama Bore's house on Tuesday--even though there was a bottle of it in my car--and the end result was about three dozen chigger bites around my trunk, from boobs to pubes. I am a human scratching post! I dotted on some Caladryl last night before going to bed and looked like a pink leopard.

Adding to the agony in the household is that fleas have invaded the cats. They must be immune to the expensive Frontline crap I keep putting on them. Little Bit escaped outside one evening earlier this month, and he obviosuly attracted every damned flea in the neighborhood. Watching the cats scratch makes me want to scratch. It's making Big Bore nuttier than usual being around us.

I've decided to put up some sort of warning sign at the front door to heed off potential visitors--sort of like the red cross used in Europe during the black plague centuries ago. It's going to be a long summer.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

"from boobs to pubes" I think I just snorted at my desk...Too funny.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Poor baby. Whenever we move my first question is always, do they have chiggers??? One of the little things to be thankful for. Unfortunately, our yard in Ca. has been invaded by Foxtail and my poor little pooch always picks one up. They can bore right into a dog's lung or heart so I am careful to remove. My sympathies on the fleas also. After this I may go to the gym and jacuzzi just to quit sympathy scratching.

Dusti said...

Try fingernail polish on a bite you've scratched open. It will sting of course, but it keeps it from itching. Might have you really looking cute if you go for red instead of clear, but whatever works!! :-)