Wednesday, July 22, 2009

FLIP-FLOPPING AWAY


I averted a near crisis this morning. I have a favorite pair of flip-flops, lime green, and the rubber toe separator of the left one popped out. After surveying the damage, I was able to shove it back into place, but I think it's only a matter of time before my top flops are no longer. Woe will be the day.

My shoe wardrobe consists of a pair of basic black pumps, hiking boots, about a dozen pairs of running and walking shoes, and six pairs of flip-flops--blue, yellow, purple, red/white/blue, purple/white, and the aforementioned lime green ones. The soles of the latter are almost smooth and one can see the indentation of heels and toes on the upper side--a sign of the years of loyal wear and tear.

I've been a full-time flip-flopper ever since the days when they were called thongs, back when I was a teeny bopper. God forbid if you call them by the archaic name nowadays. I made that innocent mistake during my teaching years, complimenting a student's decorated "cute thongs." She did an indignant double take and corrected me on the spot. Ooops! My bad.

I'm working on my next shopping list when I journey to the city, and you can bet a pair of cheap lime green flip-flops, identical to the weary ones I have now, will be at the top. I fear this may turn into a search akin to trying to find the Holy Grail because only a certain, special pair will do. When it comes to flip-flops, my taste is highly discriminatory. Solid lime green, rubber only, pliable--$3, but I'll go as high as $5. Wish me luck.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Old Navy in the mall has GREAT cheap ones. only $2.50 and they last a long time. or if they don't you can always buy two pair.

Kayle said...

Yes, back in the thong days I ripped off a toenail by opening a door. Needless to day, I have never had another pair in the closet since.