Monday, July 25, 2011

I'D LIKE SOME WATER, PLEASE

It's been a long while since there's been a drop of rain in our fair, dry town, so late yesterday afternoon, when clouds began forming to the north, I got excited--even though most summer storms approach us from the south. There was even an inkling of distant thunder, which pushed me into manic mode. This called for action.

"I'd better roll up the car windows," I told Big Bore, who was sitting out on his favorite front porch rocker conducting his own weather watch.

"No! Don't! You'll jinx us!!"

But I rolled up the one car window that was down and then tried so persuade the sky to open up.

"Please, God!" I shouted from the driveway. "Give us some rain!!" Then I went into Indian rain dance mode, making wild noises while patting my right hand to my mouth.

"Good lord!" Big Bore said. "You're going to scare the rain away! Or the neighbors are going to see you and call the authorities."

Next, I decided to go for a walk--with the idea that maybe I'd get a mile away or so from home and get caught in a storm. Soaked, but happy. That's happened to me before, but this time no such luck--other than a few microscopic droplets I felt on my arms. Or was that just a flock of birds overhead?

When I returned, a friend 30 miles to the north had emailed: "We just got a half-inch of rain awhile ago!!!"

Rats! Like I wanted to hear some water hoarder gloating over her rainfall accumulation. What show-off. Alas, before nightfall the clouds over our town had run away--no rain--but at least the temporary reprieve lowered the temperature to 88 degrees.

The good news is: later, around 11 PM, rumblings from the south arrived and we eventually got some bona fide rain--according to our gauge this morning, a whole two-tenths of an inch. Not much but that's more than we've had all month, so I'll take credit for my efforts earlier in the day regardless of how goofy I looked going through the motions. I had my clothes on, so I don't know why BB was complaining.

To God and the Indians: thank-you very much for listening.

1 comment:

Piperauthor54 said...

YAY for the rain dance!! maybe if we'd all do it it'd be better!! I was out with the dogs last night begging the lightning and water to make it over the hill!!