Saturday, July 16, 2011

PINK PATCH

First it was nothing but evil Bermuda grass. Then it was Big Bore's potato and onion patch. Next, it became my strawberry patch. And last year it evolved into my pink patch, an area 15-feet long on the southeast edge of the house. Lilies, dianthus, trailing vinca, angelonia, coxcomb (not in bloom yet), and something else, name forgotten, between the angelonia.

Today when I was deadheading, I noticed something white and foreign in my pink patch. "What the hell is that?" It looked slimy and and was spread out--like some animal had barfed on the mulch. I scraped it off and then went straight to the Internet for the answer--Dog Vomit Slime Mold. That's the common name. I can't recall the technical name, but its harmless in spite of its ugliness. That's a relief. Still, it's pretty gross looking and I don't want it invading the beauty of my pink patch. I'd put up a Keep Out sign, but I don't think Dog Vomit Slime Mold can read. At least not in Kansas.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

we've had that too---came in on some load of mulch. i accused the dogs at first----but they convinced me they were innocent. besides, they usually re-eat their upchucks and they didn't want to touch this stuff.

Nancy Evans said...

Hey, Jeff went into the feed store today to get some bird seed and the clerk asked him, "What are all those bottles on that tree limb in your yard?" He responded: "Some people have old couches in their yard. We have old bottles." I told him next time to explain that it's a custom for refined folks down South. Blame Maureen and Scott.