Thursday, July 7, 2011

MOVING ON

Sixty years ago our family moved into a home at 132 S. 9th in Fredonia, Kansas, and yesterday Big Sis and I (with the help of her husband, son, grandson, and Big Bore) cleared out the rest of Mama Bore's possessions in preparation for a new owner.

While sorting and packing and tossing out, I tried to think of the wonderful times I'd had inside the house, but few crossed my mind. I mostly recalled fights with siblings, getting into trouble, hiding in my bedroom closet, and fearing my father. I had a disdain for anything homemaker-ish, like cooking and sewing and ironing. The only enjoyable thing I remember about being inside was watching certain TV shows and listening to records on our 45 RPM player.

Outside was a different story. The backyard is substantial, and here is where I spent as many spare moments as possible when I was a kid. Softball games, croquet, shadow tag, track meets, hide and seek, looking for 4-leaf clover, catching lightning bugs, or just lying back and counting the stars. Our backyard was the neighborhood magnet. It had it all.

I was happy to hear that the new owner has three little children who can bring some energy back to the ol' yard. Too many years have passed since it was filled with laughter and wonderment. When I drove away yesterday for the final time, there was no sadness. It's time to share the memories of a little piece of ground I once called "home" with someone else. I can only hope that backyard brings them as much joy as it brought to me.

3 comments:

Of Food and Friends said...

Good story of happy memories. My Grandparents lived on 10th street and I spend many childhood summer days and holidays there. I still drive by and remember.

Nancy Evans said...

Were they the McBeath's?

dr. maureen said...

no doubt a bit of a hard time for you (and for your mom) but it is nice to know it will be occupied rather than sitting empty. every end is really a beginning!