Thursday, July 21, 2011

A THOUSAND LAUGHS, PART TWO

When I first saw this picture in Big Bore's photo album, I busted up.

"What in the world is this?" I laughed, so hard that tears began rolling from my eyes.

"That's me being prepared."

"For what?"

"To become physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. Can't you tell?"

"What's that piece of wood you're showing off?"

"It's got the Boy Scout Oath on it. Blow up the picture and you can read it. 'On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty....' I had three older brothers in the military. Sign me up for active duty! I was 13 and ready to serve!"

"For the Nerd Brigade, maybe."

When I met Big Bore back in 1978, he was more the renegade type...not someone who was "Clean in Speech and Actions," so the whole idea of him once being a Boy Scout cracked me up.

And then I found this picture.....

No comments: