Monday, February 27, 2012

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO....

Last night I watched most of the Academy Awards ceremony on TV...once The Amazing Race got over. (Heaven forbid if I missed out on who could best count cattle and figure out their average weight at a salebarn.) Anyway, I finally turned to the Oscar show and settled in for a long winter's night of star gazing.

Now, I used to watch this show with a critical eye for what all the women were wearing, their hairstyles, etc., but I've lightened up in recent years. It suddenly dawned on me that anyone who's sprawled on a sofa, wearing a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, with hair banded back in a sloppy ponytail, really hasn't earned the right to dog others about what they're wearing.

In truth, most everyone looked pretty spiffy, BUT if I was forced to give a Worst Look title, I'd give it to Rooney Mara and her white mish-mash of a gown and severe Edith Head bangs. (And if you know who Edith Head is/was, then you're showing your age.) And I never thought I'd say this, but I've got to give props to Tom Cruise. Even Big Bore was impressed with him: "My gosh, he looks better now than he did when he was teenager."

The biggest losers of the show, in my opinion, were three presenters: Jennifer Lopez, Cameron Diaz, and Angelina Jolie. They couldn't just stand there and look pretty and say their scripted dialogue to honor someone else. No, they had to turn their few minutes on stage to focus all the attention on themselves and make these stupid poses trying to accentuate their assets. In between the two awards they presented together, J-Lo and Cameron turned around to show off their big behinds --although Big Bore was more interested in what was squeezing out of the front of J-Lo's dress: "Is that her aurora bourealis (his term, not mine) showing?" And Angie had to strike a hooker look and reveal what was under her slitted dress. I don't mind if these gals want to show off their goodies on the Red Carpet entry, but it's pathetic when they do it on the stage while doing their presenter duties. "Look at me! Look at me! Forget about who wins this award! My body is what's important here!" Gag me with an Oscar.

I was happiest to see Meryl Streep (above picture) win for Best Actress. She's been nominated 17 times, has three wins, looks like a million bucks, has earned many millions more, and she's MY AGE for gosh sakes! Now, that's class.

P.S. If you didn't watch the Jimmy Kimmel post-Oscar show, you missed out on the best part of the whole evening. Maybe his movie trailer for "Movie: the Movie" will soon be on Youtube. : )

No comments: