Wednesday, February 8, 2012

HOT SOCKS

This past Christmas, Big Bore's brother and sister-in-law gave us a rice sock they'd made. Pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and--ooh-la-la--instant relief to the neck and back. I start out almost every morning with my hot sock and use it throughout the day, alternating it with ice packs, and it really DOES ease my achy-breaky body. Ah, the joys of aging.

But wait! I have learned that this handy-dandy gift is not just for old folks. A few weeks ago when Sweet Neighbor Girl was over at Casa de la Flaming Bore, she saw our rice sock on the coffee table and asked what it was. I gave her a demonstration and it was instant love. She curled up with it like it was a stuffed animal and before you knew it, she was asleep. This same scenario has happened over and over again. She cuddles up with that rice sock and--BAM! She's sleeping like a baby.

So, I decided to make her her own rice sock for Valentine's Day. I have lots of extra tube socks around that I've never worn, but when I went to Dollar G to buy some rice I stumbled on to a display of wild-looking knee socks and found the perfect style for the fashion-conscious kid--hot pink leopard print! Big Bore helped me funnel the rice into the sock, so I wouldn't have a huge mess all over the kitchen floor. I tied it and voila!

I'm going to give my great niece Maddie the other sock and turn her on to the joys of rice, too. And because she doesn't like to share with her little brothers, I'll make them each one, too--but not in pink leopard. That would never do. Dollar G had some lovely Scooby-Do socks that just might do the trick.

Thanks to Bill and Janet for the great gift idea and for giving me the chance to start off each day by saying, "Ahhhhh! That feels sooooo good!" ;)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah those things are HEAVEN. I am not surprised my folks gave you one :)

Taylor got one for Christmas too and I will warm it up before bed and she snuggles with it.

momrdr said...

Sometimes the best things in life are almost free! Its funny how much everyone likes these things.

Nancy Evans said...

You're right, Janet. Amanda came over after school yesterday and she was so excited to get her own "designer rice sock." Of course, she dozed off with it after milk and cookies. :)